The finance manager is responsible for the day to day running of a company's finance team. They provide a comprehensive financial accounting service with responsibility for preparing accurate, timely financial and management accounts and reports. They are also charged with developing financial strategies to ensure that the organisation reaches its short and medium term goals.
What qualifications do I need?
To become a finance manager, you'll require a tertiary qualification in accounting. In most cases you will also be CA qualified with several years' post-qualification experience. Additionally, you will be able to demonstrate the following experience:
- Staff management experience
- Several years' post-qualification experience gained in a commercial environment
- A good mix of business and accounting abilities
- Financial systems knowledge
- Familiarity with an ERP system
- Highly computer literate with sound spread sheeting and reporting skills
On average, salaries for finance managers are between circa MYR 100-180k.
Key personal attributes for a successful Finance Manager include:
- Strong interpersonal skills - you will be dealing with various areas of the business
- Process improvement focus - you will be able to identify issues and offer suggestions for improvement
- Commercially aware - you will need to be well versed in the technical aspects of all kinds of financial decisions
- Strong people management skills - you will need to be able to motivate your staff members
- Deadline-driven - you will set the monthly and year end timetable to ensure the finance division meets reporting deadlines
On average, salaries for finance managers are between circa MYR 100-180k. Proven finance managers have good career opportunities and can progress to become financial controllers.
Click to view the latest accounting & finance jobs available.