Head of Legal & Secretarial
Salary Market Aligned
Location Kuala LumpurFULL_TIME
Consultant Kimmy Khoo
Job Ref 1851820/001
Date posted 15 September 2022kuala-lumpur legal/banking-finance 2022-09-15 2022-11-14 legal Kuala Lumpur MY Robert Walters https://www.robertwalters.com.my https://www.robertwalters.com.my/content/dam/robert-walters/global/images/logos/web-logos/square-logo.png
One of the leading insurance providers is seeking a Head of Legal & Secretarial, dual-qualified with admission to the Malaysian Bar as well as a company secretarial license. In this job, you will take the lead role over the legal and corporate affairs teams and support the business in these functions.
About the Head of Legal & Secretarial Role:
Reporting to the CEO and dotted line reporting to the General Counsel, Asia, the Head of Legal & Secretarial ideally possesses strong knowledge of the Malaysian insurance market and regulators and is familiar with best practices and statutory compliance applicable to all legal, regulatory, and corporate matters of the group while also acting as the company secretary.
- Support in all types of contract negotiations, drafting and reviewing relevant agreements, focusing on implementing and improving standard forms, checklists and other control tools for efficiently managing legal risks of the company
- Lead and/or take an active role in strategic projects, both local, regional and global, support on M&A, bancassurance and other transactions
- Ensure independent management of the legal aspects of projects, particularly relating to digitalisation strategies to the highest standards
- Oversee litigious complaints, ombudsman and litigation matters.
- Provide legal advice at all levels of the organisation with a focus on insurance law, general business law, corporate law and technology/data privacy related issues
- Perform legal monitoring and coordinate with the regional office and outside counsel
- Act as a Company Secretary and oversee all company secretarial matters
- Assess/implement appropriate tools for improving the efficiency of the management of legal and
- corporate affairs such as activity management tools, contract management tools, board management tools etc.
- Build and maintain the overall relationship with the Malaysian Central Bank and other regulators, as well as associations and other organisations
- Ensure adequate training and control of local teams with a view to effectively managing legal risks, implement adequate told for monitoring team activity
- Identify and mentor talents, build best practice, building legal skills and capabilities/coaching/mentoring/developing teams, hire, calibrate, review and consolidate local direct reports
- Oversee the implementation of regional guidelines, operating procedures, methodologies and templates, reporting and escalation in case of material matters
- Lead changes, ensure anticipation of coming challenges and risks
- Prepare, obtain approval and manage budgets
This role is for someone who possesses excellent relationship building, communication, negotiation and convincing skills, to supervise, manage and provide quality support and advice to the management for all legal, regulatory, and corporate matters.
- LLB from a top-tier law school or similar qualifications
- Admitted to the Malaysian Bar
- At least 15 years of post-qualification experience working within the legal department of an international company, ideally in the insurance industry, with previous private practice experience in a top-tier law firm
- Possess valid company secretarial license and certificate of practice
- Be well organised, self-motivated and have a strong ability to work on your own initiative, possesses strong organisational skills, analytical and problem-solving skills with a proven ability to work well in and, if asked to do so, lead, cross-functional teams
- Proven ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Strong understanding of how businesses work and be able to implement efficient and business oriented legal and compliance solutions
- Fluent in both written and spoken English and Bahasa
Exciting times lie ahead for this international insurance company that needs no further introduction with recent efforts in business diversification and enhanced market power. They are highly recognised in the global presence, known for their balanced corporate environment and focus on developing and nurturing their people to the highest standards.
If you are driven, determined and would like to take the next step in your career, this is the role for you. Great career progression opportunities await the right person in this Head of Legal & Secretarial role.
Apply now or email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org today to discuss this new opportunity.
Do note that we will only be in touch if your application is shortlisted.
Agensi Pekerjaan Robert Walters Sdn Bhd
Business Registration Number : 729828-T
Licence Number : JTKSM 423C
Salary: Market AlignedLocation: Kuala LumpurDate posted: 10 August 2022This leading financial institution is currently recruiting for a Head, Company Secretary.
Salary: Market AlignedLocation: Kuala LumpurDate posted: 21 September 2022As a result of ongoing and continued success within the group, a leading conglomerate with diversified businesses is seeking an experienced Group Company Secretary. In this job, you will be based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Salary: Market AlignedLocation: Kuala LumpurDate posted: 21 September 2022A leading global industrial gases and engineering company is seeking an Associate Senior Counsel. In this job, you will support the company’s business activities in the SEA region from a legal, corporate secretarial and compliance perspective.
Salary: Market AlignedLocation: Kuala LumpurDate posted: 20 September 2022An exciting Legal Counsel job with a leading and reputable market leader within the consumer goods industry has just become available.
Salary: Market AlignedLocation: Kuala LumpurDate posted: 15 September 2022One of the reputable and leading companies specialising in construction and logistic businesses is now seeking a high -calibre candidate for a Legal and Compliance Counsel job in Klang Valley.